Monday, September 10, 2007

The grocery store.

Yep, today was it. I had put it off as long as humanly possible. I went to the grocery store today. It's my first trip since I decided to make all of these changes. I don't think I was as prepared as I should have been, but it could have been so much worse. I stuck mostly to the outer walls. I read that helped somewhere. It did actually. I got a lot more produce than I normally would, and I bought an acorn squash. I've had it before, but I've never made it. It says I can do it in the microwave, so I'm gonna try that so I don't have to heat up the house. I got some zucchini too, but I haven't the slightest clue what to do with it.

The hardest thing was finding sugar free stuff. I can find all the fat free crap on the planet, but trying to find stuff that doesn't have high fructose corn syrup as the second ingredient is a pain in the ass. I was so looking forward to those sugar free fudge pops....no such luck. Fat free ones all day long, but no sugar free. Not even in the store brand. Jell-O needs to make those pudding pops out of the sugar free pudding. OMG that would be heaven. I debated my bread choice for a good eight minutes, and I finally found one with honey as the only sugar ingredient, and only whole wheat flour too, so that's a plus. I've limited myself to a maximum of two slices per day. That's a huge step for me. I am a bread and butter girl. Grocery shopping was definitely a challenge since I'm not really following and particular food plan. Right now I'm just playing it by ear.

I got 20 mins in on the bike. I wanted to try and make up for yesterday, but after 20 mins parts of my lower body that I didn't even know could fall asleep, did. I still haven't made it out to the church track. I guess I'm just a chicken.

I've also been looking into attending an Overeater's Anonymous meeting. There is one at the hospital (which, ironically, is 2 buildings away from the church). My biggest fear is running into someone there that knows me. It sounds so irrational. If they are there and running into me, they're probably more worried about what I'm thinking. Who knows. I have untill Friday to decide.

Thanks for reading
Bean

3 comments:

Twix said...

TAG!! YOUR IT!!!

The zuch stuff I have no clue and I have never made the acorn squash but I have tried it and yummy! Great job getting your 20 minutes. Your lower half may have had a nerve pinch causing it to pin & needle. I am trying to stay away from corn syrup and corn anything other than just straight corn. It's in everything and it's real hard to find stuff it's not in. Did you know high fructose corn syrup is highly addicting. Resulting in and aiding to food bingeing!? Very hard to stay away from the stuff. I will eat regular sugar and hopefully in small amounts. I have to stay away from artificial sweetners due to allergies of them.
I don't think your fear is irrational as long as you don't think mine is, lol! I'm scared to be around people!

;)

Chubby Chick said...

Sounds like you got some really healthy stuff from the grocery store! Good for you!

Awww... I can say this because I'm a chicken too... but... don't be a chicken! Just do what you want to do... and forget about everyone else. Go to the church track if it's what you want to do. And go to the OA meeting if you want to do that, too! Take care of yourself... and do what is important to you. You deserve it! :)

Lori G. said...

You have to do what you need to do for yourself and forget about what anyone else might be saying. You can't please everyone and you have to be able to take care of yourself the best way you know how. Truthfully, most people don't even notice what's going on around them and the ones who really do either care about you and support you OR they just don't have a life and you can ignore them completely. :-)

Great job with the food. Make sure you pierce the squash before you microwave it...Zucchini, you can chop up (peel it) and mix with tomatoes and onions and make a spaghetti sauce out of it.

And yes, sticking to the outer walls is good. All the processed foods are in the middle. Great job on the bike too!